[10-1-2022] Microsoft Rewards Bing Homepage Quiz Question: What is a Yosemite firefall?
The given options are:
- Bioluminescence in a waterfall
- Actual fire in a waterfall
- Sunrise reflected in a waterfall
Correct Answer: Actual fire in a waterfall
Info: The Yosemite Firefall was a summertime event that began in 1872 and continued for almost a century. In 1872, the owners of the Glacier Point Hotel started a summer tradition of pushing live embers from a campfire over the top of Glacier Point, creating a bright ‘Firefall’ flowing into the valley below. From a distance, it appeared as a glowing waterfall. The Firefall ended in January 1968 when George B. Hartzog, then the director of the National Park Service, ordered it to stop because of the overwhelming number of visitors. Ironically, the Glacier Point Hotel was destroyed by fire 18 months later and was not rebuilt. The Firefall was performed at 9 p.m. seven nights a week as the final act of a performance at Camp Curry.
All three questions from today’s Bing Homepage Quiz are below. You can find their answers by visiting those pages.
- Bridalveil Fall is just one of more than a thousand waterfalls at which California national park?
- Which photographer is known for capturing the beauty of national parks, but found great inspiration from Yosemite in particular?
- What is a Yosemite firefall?